Just like people, dogs also have from light to severe symptoms of allergies. Common types of allergy are flea allergy dermatitis, food allergy and environmental allergens. Below are common symptoms of allergic reactions:
- Swelling of the face, ears, lips, eyelids, or earflaps
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itchy ears
- Chronic ear infections
- Itchy, runny eyes
- Constant licking
If your dogs have those reactions, consult your veterinarian immediately or if those reactions are becoming more and more severe, take your dog to the veterinary hospital immediately.
Of course, if your dog is allergic to current food and is having symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea, you have no choice but to change the food.
Below we have some recommendations of food for those sensitive dogs.
- 1 Top 9 Best Dog Food For Allergies New Update 2021
- 1.1 Top 1: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin Recipes
- 1.2 Top 2: Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food & Wet Dog Food (Packaging May Vary)
- 1.3 Top 3: Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Pacific Stream Premium Dry Dog Food
- 1.4 Top 4: Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula, 40 Pound Bag
- 1.5 Top 5: The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food
- 2 Why should buy dog food for allergies?
- 3 Who should buy dog food for allergies?
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion:
Brand popularity: this formula is specially designated for dogs with sensitive stomach, suffering an allergic reaction like vomiting or diarrhea and normally is the No.1 recommended by the veterinarian.
Main ingredients: Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Yellow Peas, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Sorghum, Egg Product, Chicken Fat.
After suffering allergic reaction, your dog needs to balance bacteria in the intestines. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is crafted with beet pulp, which is a source of prebiotics fiber.
This food is also based on real chicken which is a source of healthy amino acids.
The mixture is blended with highly digestible ingredients which will support the work of the intestinal system.
It also contains vitamin E and omega 6 fatty acids which will support the luxurious coat and heathy skin.
Grain-free and small bites will help your dogs to get over food intolerance after catching allergy.
Consult your vet if your pup is still suffering allergic reactions after using this food.
This food has a balanced diet so it could be used for a long time after your dogs recover from allergy.
Top 2: Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food & Wet Dog Food (Packaging May Vary)
Brand popularity: this brand is separately crafted by Purina for dogs with sensitive skin and stomach, which means that they are or have been suffering the allergic reactions.
Main ingredients: Salmon, Rice, Fish, Potato Protein, Corn Oil, Carrots.
The balanced and complete formula will help your dogs quickly recover from skin irritating situation or upset digestive reactions.
Moreover, it contains salmon as first ingredient which is a source of DHA, omega fatty acid and very yummy.
It is proudly made in the USA and do not contain any artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
Store it in a cool and dry place or put in the fridge unused portions.
Top 3: Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Pacific Stream Premium Dry Dog Food
Brand popularity: this brand is formulated with highly-digestive and grain-free ingredients from sweet potatoes and peas and salmon, which is very suitable for dogs with food sensitive or allergy.
Main ingredients: Salmon, Ocean Fish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Canola Oil, Lentils, Salmon Meal, Smoked Salmon, Potato Fiber.
Base on real salmon and smoked salmon as first ingredient, this food provides a delicious taste and source of precious amino acids, which will help to improve the total health of your dogs.
His immune system will also strongly be supported by the antioxidants from fruits and veggies in the food, such as tomatoes, blueberry and raspberries.
Omega fatty acids from salmon also supports a heathy skin and shiny coat.
No grain, corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives and with items carefully selected from global trusted sources.
Made in the USA with advanced food safety protocols.
A transition course of 7 – 10 days should be introduced if you are changing from the old food to Taste Of The Wild.
Brand popularity: with Proprietary Probiotic Technology, every Diamond Naturals dry formula is enhanced with K9 Strain Probiotics, which help support heathy digestive system and immune system of your dog and this also makes the food suitable for dogs with food sensitive or digestive upset.
Main ingredients: Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Ground White Rice, Dried Yeast, Egg Product, Rice Bran, Cracked Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat.
Base on beef and fish for getting protein to build strong muscle and other whole food and grains for lean nutrition.
The highly-digestive formula plus proprietary probiotic blend has made this food familiar with dogs who have sensitive stomach or have ever suffered diet upset.
Do not contain corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, colors or any preservatives
Powerful antioxidants support immune system and heathy lifestyle while fatty acid help with skin and coat.
A transition course of at least 7 days should be introduced. However, for dogs with sensitivities, the transition course should be extended to 14 days.
Brand popularity: The Honest Kitchen focuses on sourcing natural trusted sources, without fillers, additives and GMO ingredients, the food brings the safe and tasty meal to your sensitive dogs.
Main ingredients: Dehydrated Chicken, Organic Barley, Dehydrated Potatoes, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Oats, Dehydrated Peas, Dehydrated Carrots, Dried Parsley, Dried Bananas.
This food is labeled as organic and is up to AAFCO standard and it is suitable for any breed size and any size range. More than that, it is ideal for pregnant dogs, puppies and food sensitive dogs.
The free-range chicken plus dehydrated organic veggies make the food become highly digestive.
100% made in the USA and no ingredients from China.
Served in instant cook: just prepare warm water, stir well and serve your dog after 3 minutes.
Store in a dry, cool place. Do not freeze the dry type. You could only freeze the leftovers of the food after being rehydrated.
You can add in some human food like meat, cottage cheese, fruits or veggies to varietize your dog’s taste.
Why should buy dog food for allergies?
When having an allergy, the dog will have sensitive skin (itching, swelling) and stomach (vomiting, diarrhea). That is the time you should consult your vet if your beloved one needs a new diet, which focuses on highly-digestive food or organic friendly food. Those foods will help your dog recover the digestive troubles and remove the remarks on their skin.
Who should buy dog food for allergies?
If your dog is catching food allergies, you have to consider to his diet for sure.
If your dog catches flea allergy or environmental allergens like grass, dust, mold, cleaning products, etc. and it takes a long time for them to recover, you should also consider the ability to find a new food which supports those sensitive dogs.
What is an allergy?
An allergy is the way the immune system reacts to the strange substance that it does not like such as dust, food, fur, the substances going into the body when being caught a bee sting or getting vaccine treatment, etc.
For dogs, there are 3 groups of allergies:
- Flea allergy dermatitis: you could diagnose this type of allergy by seeing the flea dirt which look like the black pepper. Your dog will feel itchy all over the body, especially be scratched at the head and tails.
- Food allergy: vomiting, diarrhea and food intolerance are common reactions of food allergy. Sometimes it could also result in skin condition like hives, facial swelling and itchiness.
- Environmental allergens: some types of environmental allergens such as mold, fungus, pollen, etc. are seasonal and your dog will recover quickly when the season passes. However, some other types are always available in daily life such as cleaning products or dust. The common reactions of dogs are licking paws or scratch the ears.
How to treat dog with allergies?
The best way to treat allergies is prevention which means to avoid the causes of such allergies. Flea allergy dermatitis is the type of allergy that is the easiest to be diagnosed and cure. You just need to kill the fleas by using medicine. Avoiding the causes of food allergy is no other way than changing dogs’ diet.
Below is some of treatments could be applied to make dogs’ life easier and more comfortable to recover from an allergy.
- Wipe off your dogs’ paws after walks: there are some type of specific wipe for pets in the current market that even uses only natural ingredients for your dogs to remove any dust or germs.
- Use a hypo-allergic shampoo
- Try supplements such as biotin or omega-3s
- Switch to a limited ingredient diet
If your dog’s symptoms are more severe, the veterinarian may recommend some common therapies as below:
- Anti-inflammatory therapy: using drugs like antihistamines or corticosteroids can block the symptoms and shut down the development. This treatment is highly efficient for environmental and seasonal allergies which are all nearly impossible to avoid.
- Shampoo therapy: to treat sores or infections.
- Hypersensitization therapy: to desensitize dogs’ immune system by a series of allergy testing shots.
How to treat dogs with food allergy/intolerance?
Food allergy is simply understood as the reactions of the immune system to one or some specific type of foods.
Common symptoms of food allergy may be mixed with other type of allergy as follow:
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Frequent scratching or hair loss
- Red, inflamed skin
- Chronic ear problems
- Poor growth in young dogs
- Coughing, wheezing and sneezing
Thus, it is important to consult your vet to define exactly the type of allergy.
The next step is to define which types of food ingredients your dog has allergic reactions to (the most common types are chicken and corn). If your dog is allergic to certain types of meat, you may have to introduce new source of protein such as egg, salmon, duck, lamb, venison or whitefish. If your dog is allergic to all of those protein sources, you may have to search for break-down protein source. In any cases, consult for your vet to find the best food for your dog.
Allergies is a part of dog life and food plays an important part. Selecting the right food for your sensitive dogs will help them to thrive and live a comfortable life if catching allergy.