While large or giant puppies have the potential of growing quickly, the joints and bones normally cannot catch up with this quick growth. This situation could cause painful diseases and phenomena as hip dysplasia, osteochondritis dissecans (inflammation of cartilage and bone), or panosteitis (painful inflammation of the outer surface of the long bones in the legs).
Thus, it is very important to provide a kind of food that brings steady and overall growth, supporting the joints and bones to catch up with body mass development.
Below are some of the best food for large breed puppy in the current market that you could have a look at.
- 1 Top 5 Best Food For Large Breed Puppy For Your Need
- 2 Why should you use best dog food for large breed puppy?
- 3 How should we use best dog food for large breed puppy?
- 4 Best dog food for large breed puppy FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
==> Best Grain Free Dog Food Update 2021
==> Best Puppy Food Update 2021
==> Best Dog Food For Small Breed – Reviews & Buying Guide
Top 5 Best Food For Large Breed Puppy For Your Need
Top 1 – Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Puppy, Large Breed
Use a protein-rich and diverse formula to support large breed dog craving-for-food nature and the adventurous life of a growing puppy.
Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Oats, Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Pork Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Pork Flavor, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Oat Fiber, L-Carnitine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene, Apples, Broccoli, Carrots, Cranberries, Green Peas.
- Enriched glucosamine from chicken meal and chondroitin to support strong muscle and healthy joints.
- Using carefully selected wholesome ingredients to add natural flavors, no use artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Supplements of vitamin A, E, and antioxidants help your puppy strengthen his immune system.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids from flaxseed and fish oil as well as biotin help to create healthy skin and a shiny coat. Natural DHA from high-quality fish oil also supports healthy brain and eye development in growing puppies.
- Recommended for puppies from one-year-old age.
- A transition course of 7 days should be introduced before full usage.
Top 2 – Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Puppy Dog Food
This formula is specially crafted for bringing large breed puppies protein and glucosamine-rich to support strong muscles and healthy joints for growing puppies.
Chicken, Rice Flour, Soybean Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal (Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Beef Fat Naturally Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Pea Fiber, Glycerin, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (Source of DHA), Liver Flavor, Mono and Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Caramel Color, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Sulfur. D-4179.
- Featured by protein-rich (28% min) and glucosamine-rich (400 ppm min) from real chicken and with crunchy smaller kibble size which will bring the healthy and delicious meals to larger and giant puppies.
- The balance of calcium (1.1% min) and phosphorus (0.9% min) support the healthy growth of the bones.
- DHA (0.05% min) from fish oil promotes puppies’ brain and vision development.
- Omega-6 fatty acids plus the supplement of vitamin A, E will promote healthy skin and coat.
- Food should be moisturized at least in the first month of puppies’ life with one part of warm or hot water to four parts of Purina.
- Allow your puppies to eat at will until fully weaned (6-8 weeks).
- A transition course from 7 – 10 days should be introduced until a full transition.
Top 3: Diamond Naturals Premium Large Breed Formulas Dry Dog
Featured with complete nutrition enhanced by superfoods and live microorganisms for good digestion.
Lamb, lamb meal, ground white rice, peas, pea flour, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried yeast, tomato pomace, potato protein, flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, L-Carnitine, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms.
- Use lamb flavor as the main source of protein bringing protein-rich meals (27% min) for your puppy to build strong and lean muscle.
- With a diverse source of fat (total 15% min), this food is also fueled by L-Carnitine for conversing fat to energy to support puppies’ active and adventurous life.
- A balanced supplement of calcium (1.2% min) and phosphorus (1% min) supports the development of bones
- Contain DHA (0.05% min) and other supplements of vitamins, folic acid, beta carotene, and other minerals for brain and vision development.
- Keep plenty of fresh water around your pet all the time.
- A transition course of over 7 days should be introduced before full usage.
Top 4 – Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
All BLUE’s brands are featured by Life Source Bits for providing complete and balanced nutrients for your dogs, especially this brand is specially formulated for large breed puppies with more supplements for cognitive and retinal functions.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Pea Protein, Peas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Menhaden Fish Meal (Source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Flaxseed (Source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dicalcium Phosphate, Fish Oil (Source of Ara-Arachidonic Acid And Dha-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Salt, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Choline Chloride, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Potassium Chloride, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Dl-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, L-Carnitine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice For Color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- Balanced calcium (1.2 %) and phosphorus (1%) promote the development of the bones.
- Chicken-based protein helps to build strong muscle and the chicken meal is a source of glucosamine to create healthy joints.
- DHA (0.1%) and ARA (0.04%) from fish oil support cognitive system development.
- No corn, wheat, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
- A transition course of 14 days should be introduced before a full transition.
Top 5 – Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
Featured by chicken and rice flavors, this food also contains wholesome grains and balanced formula of calcium (1.1%) and phosphorus (0.9%) to support large breed growing puppy.
Chicken, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Poultry By-Product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Wheat, Beef Fat Preserved With Mixed-tocopherols, Pea Fiber, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Natural Flavor, Fish Oil, Soybean Oil, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Citrate, L-lysine Monohydrochloride, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Garlic Oil.
- Using a reduced-fate and balanced formula with 28% protein, 13% fat, and 6% fiber to satisfy the adventurous life of a large or giant growing puppy.
- An enriched source of glucosamine (500 ppm min) from fish meals promotes healthy joints.
- A controlled calcium and phosphorus rate (1.1% and 0.8% respectively) also supports the development of the bones.
- DHA from fish oil and supplement of vitamin A, E helps to boost the brain and vision of your mate.
- A transition course of 7 – 10 days should be introduced to avoid any diet upset.
Why should you use best dog food for large breed puppy?
A large breed puppy has to face many risks in its growing time: growing too fast without enough supports of bones and joints, being overfed, and got obese.
To reduce those risks, large breed puppies need a low-fat diet and a controlled and balanced calcium and phosphorus ratio. The commercial dog foods with the interference of nutritionists and veterinarians will help you to balance those indicators easily.
Let’s try to understand more about the root causes for the must of finding a large breed puppy diet.
Why a low-fat diet? Fat is the most calorie-dense substance and easy to promote obesity of your growing puppies if they are being overfed. Once the calorie amount is controlled, there are more rooms for joints and bones to develop.
Why a balanced calcium and phosphorus ratio is important? Too much calcium can bind phosphorus’s absorption. Meanwhile, on the other hand, phosphorus could also slightly affect calcium absorption. Thus, when both calcium and phosphorus are present, it is very important to consider the ratio. If you are using healthy food, there is no need to add those supplements to your pups’ meals. Furthermore, excessive calcium could also weaken the skeleton structures and weaken the overall strength of a grown-up giant dog.
How should we use best dog food for large breed puppy?
The most important know-how in feeding our puppies commercial dog food is to restrict the safe calorie by reading the label, feeding instructions, and ingredient analysis of the package.
Start feeding by the address the age of your dogs to the right column of feeding instruction. The next step is to monitor your pups’ weight over a certain period. Consult your vets if those added pounds are healthy or not.
Best dog food for large breed puppy FAQs
What does large breed puppy dog food aim for?
Below are the common standards and aims of large breed puppy dog food:
- High-quality protein
- Beneficial fatty acids
- Vitamin D
- The lower energy density (lower fat diet)
High-quality protein and beneficial fatty acids and fiber are essential for any growing puppies of any breed and size.
Slightly lower calcium and phosphorus levels compared to small breed pups will support healthier joints and bones.
Vitamin D promotes healthy bones and lower-fat diet help pups to not be overfed and be overweight.
What are the best add-ins for large breed puppy dog food?
Although large breed puppy commercial food is specially crafted and with clear aims above, none of those formulas in the current market are perfect formulas. Most of the time, your pups need to add fruits or small veggies to their diet. This addition not only helps to increase fiber and flavors for higher digestion. It also enhances your friendship with the pups.
Each commercial large breed puppy food has an exclusive formula to aim for large breed puppy overall growth and reduce the risks in pups’ growing period. Thus, choose the most suitable flavors for your pups by always putting in your mind clear purposes of large breed puppy food, studying the label and feeding instructions, and monitoring your feeding plan. Moreover, do not forget to put some healthy fiber snacks to your pups’ meal and it will help your pubs grow at their best.