Overwhelmed by so many different types of flea and tick prevention on the market, you may feel a bit tough to figure out what you should apply to treat your dogs. One second passed, another second passed also, and your dogs are still suffering from those uncomfortable symptoms. There is a high likelihood that no one wants to see their pets struggling to get rid of flea and ticks, but how to find the best method right away? Have a glance at the top 5 of the best tick repellent for dogs and you have your questions answered automatically.
- 1 Top 5 best tick repellent for dogs to consider
- 2 Why does your dog need flea treatment?
- 3 How to choose tick repellent for dogs?
- 4 Best tick repellent for dogs FAQs
Top 5 best tick repellent for dogs to consider
- No biting required: This product’ generation is able to kill and repel fleas, ticks and mosquitoes through contact with your little four-legged friends. These harmful parasites will die prior to biting your little companions, believe me.
- Good treatment: The vet-recommended product eliminates every kind of health-damaging ticks that can transmit diseases to your dogs anytime without obvious signs. With a special method of eradication, your concern has been alleviated.
- Easy to apply: Once every month only! Yes, you didn’t mishear, as this product generally enables you to repeat the treatment process once every month only. Thus, saving your time and effort for bonding activities between you guys is transparently possible.
- Effective ingredients: A great combination of Imidacloprid, permethrin and pyriproxyfen actually leads you to the testimony of a reliable product that can give you a hand every time needed. From now on, your baby dogs can healthily develop on their own way without any obstacle related.
- In any case that you are aware that your dog has allergies or is easily upset with skin irritations, I’d recommend a chewable instead of this.
- Highly-effective: Honestly, most products on offer are not quality-guaranteed as much as expected in the sense that they are supposed to be effective but this generally doesn’t last for long. However, you can be free from those thoughts as this tick repellent can provide continuous protection over your dog’s skin and coat as well for up to 8 months.
- Easy to use: With this brand’s offer, you can expect to avoid the hassle of messy monthly treatments with the Seresto collar for dogs for the best results. Being odorless and non-greasy, this product is nothing but an easy way to apply and can be used alongside other ID collars likewise.
- Stop fleas and ticks at once: Fleas and ticks aren’t just literally such a nuisance and painful for your canine companions— they can actually transmit diseases as sure as hell. You now can bank on this product to keep your dogs healthy and comfortable all year round with no biting required to take effect.
- If you expect to get results right after application, you should probably choose another, as this one takes a certain amount of time to work well and this may get on your nerves, I guess.
- Plant-based ingredients: This formula is well blended with certified natural essential oils, ensuring no harsh chemicals involved and then independently tested to confirm the functionality against fleas, ticks and mosquitoes at the same time.
- Range of use: No matter where you want to use it, such as baseboards, pet bedding, pillows, blankets, or upholstery or even carpets, this can still perform the best of its function.
- Non-staining: This product is water-based and carefully designed to be stain-free, thus you can spray surfaces that your four-legged friends come in contact with to basically treat an infestation actively.
- A reliable source of supply: This tick repellent is proudly manufactured in the United States of America with prominent quality and internationally sourced ingredients, which mixes to provide the best experience for you and your pet.
- Its ingredients work best for some types of dogs but maybe a bit ineffective to some, this may cause you to wait longer than usual.
- Second-to-none: Not only is waterproof, fast-acting but this product is also a long-lasting treatment for dogs. You don’t have to wait for such a long time so that it can little by little take effect.
- Effective: If you are informed about how much this product can be effective, you probably will be surprised. It can treat adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop infestations regarding both existing ones and soon-to-exist infestations as well.
- Reliable: Having been trusted by veterinarians for nearly 20 years, customers if still place trust in professional veterinarians, still should do the same thing with the product itself. Believe me, it is designed to protect your dog all the time with a high percentage of protection.
- Long-lasting: This formula is stored in the oil glands of your pet’s skin for 30 days, giving it a sense of comfort all day long with non-stop flea and tick protection simultaneously.
- For some types of dogs, this product may cause difficulty in movement coordination for walking during some time of use.
- Break the flea life cycle at once: Flea infestations generally commence with just two fleas laying hundreds of flea eggs within a couple of days. This brand offers a product that can prevent an infestation by not only exterminating adults comprising only 5% of the flea population in particular—but also by ruining flea eggs and larvae as well, for the best effectiveness.
- Perfect customer service: Personally speaking, what makes this brand well-known is more of a good customer service team than anything else. You can receive a new replacement or even a refund if there is any defect relating to the manufacturing process for sure.
- It is recommended that you check on the ingredients carefully before purchasing in the sense that some elements may cause itchy to your dogs from time to time.
Why does your dog need flea treatment?
Fleas are super resilient parasites and so capable jumpers as well. When they have found a way onto your dog’s skin, they basically will lay eggs, which can then find their way into your house, causing an infestation at the spots possible. With a short life cycle, this process happens over some days for sure, and once you have had an infestation, it can be difficult to get rid of fleas completely.
Also, ticks can turn into a severe issue in your yard, especially if you have a large bushy area with long grass around, this causes a high likelihood. Ticks can result in our dog contracting many big health conditions being inclusive of Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, rocky mountain spotted fever, and even anaplasmosis. Moreover, biting fleas can cause a couple of diseases in your dog being inclusive of dermatitis, typhus, plague, tapeworm, and sometimes haemobartonellosis as well.
It is to deter infestation and those diseases that most dog keepers provide their pets with frequent preventative flea treatments, and so do you.
How to choose tick repellent for dogs?
Keep in mind that no two pets are the same compared to others. Therefore, a product that’s basically considered to be safe flea and tick prevention for dogs may be a great choice for one type of animal and a mistake for another at the same time. Factors for you to consider include those:
- Age: Flea treatments must be always age-appropriate; many are not meant for young puppies. Look at the product’s label for this information when you receive the product.
- Breed: Coat type may affect your decision and thicker coats may be tough for topical treatments.
- Your pet’s health history: Other medications or supplements that you are giving, concurrent health conditions, and reactions in the past to flea and tick preventatives should be all taken into consideration. For instance, neurologic issues have been seen in dogs once high doses of ivermectin (this is a heartworm prevention ingredient) are actually given in conjunction with spinosad, a flea ingredient for prevention.
- Your pet’s lifestyle: The presence of children and other kinds of pets (particularly cats) in the household and your pet’s daily activities or heavy exposure to the outdoors is vital details needed to be taken into account also.
- Where you live: Which parasites are prevalent in your area that many people may have in common? Is resistance to some kinds of preventatives a concern?
Your veterinarian will finally take these details into consideration and help you determine which flea or tick preventative is best for your dog in the end.
Many of the safest and also most effective choices require a veterinarian’s prescription before you can apply, so it would be better to have this discussion sooner rather than later anyway.
Best tick repellent for dogs FAQs
How to know if your dogs are suffering from fleas?
Fleas and ticks are super tiny, so you have to visually inspect your pet regularly to find them and get those out, especially after you’ve been for a walk or to the kennel or dog park as well, the high possibility is your dogs have been infested.
While you may see easy-to-be-seen signs that your dog has fleas or ticks, like scratching, they also have a tendency to hide in areas where your pet can’t reach.
This is inclusive of the top of the head, or underside of the tail, in the folds of the neck and chest, and between the paw pads also.
If you finally find ticks on your dog, make sure to watch out for any warning symptoms of a potentially fatal disease that may be seen in the future. This can have limping, lethargy, swelling, or joint pain involved.
What are different types of treatment for dogs?
There are a couple of different methods for deterring fleas and ticks on your dogs. These methods are inclusive of a flea tablet, flea shampoos, topical treatments, and flea collars also.
Flea and tick collars for dogs and tablets generally are able to help keep your pet tick and flea free for up to seven to eight months, whereas topical treatments and shampoos generally have to be applied at least once a month.
It is vital to right away remove a tick from your dog within 48 hours of them biting your dogs, and because these small creatures can be difficult to miss, prevention is all the time better than cure.
Nonetheless, if you find a tick on your dog, you’ll want to make sure you remove it totally and thoroughly.
How do you know about oral prevention?
Some flea and tick medications are on offer in pill or tablet form. Oral medication is absolutely effective among those. You are advised to give an oral medication each month. The main downside is a couple of dogs have stomach sensitivity to the medication itself. It’s best to check with your veterinarian first prior to beginning any oral medication, as they can help you choose the safest and most efficient treatment (some are by prescription only) for your breed of dog later on, as sure as hell.
Aside from those above, is shampoo a good alternative?
Should your dog have ticks and fleas after using some medications listed above, chances are you will want to use a peculiar shampoo to prevent an infestation for sure. For whatever you choose to use, keep in your mind that the best one suits your dog best.